How to tackle dull, dry skin during the lockdown
Lockdown has been hard on us in many ways. You may not realise it, but constantly staying indoors, staring at screens for long hours, and the general stress of surviving a pandemic can impact the skin as well. While on some days, it may feel overwhelming to go through the motions of completing your entire skin care routine, we’re here to encourage you to do so, as this is the time your skin needs extra TLC.
What is dry skin?
If your skin tends to get dry and tight even during the summer months, you need to take special care of moisturising and nourishing it. Shabana Sheikh, National Creative Director, Skin, Lakmé Salon, gives you some easy skin care tips to hydrate and care for your dry skin.
How to care for dry skin?
First off, she says, whatever products you choose for your skin, look for active ingredients that address your skin type and concerns. Hyaluronic acid, for instance, is a great addition to your routine, as it’s a hydrating powerhouse. Also look for ingredients like Tocopherols, Vitamin E and Urea, which protect your skin’s natural barrier and lock the moisture in. And, of course, generous use of an SPF is crucial to prevent skin from further drying up or becoming dehydrated.
Best skin care products for dry skin
Here are Shabana’s top product picks for those with dry skin.
1. Cleanser: If you haven’t already, start double cleansing with the Dermalogica Precleanse followed by the Special Cleansing Gel. This combination will ensure your skin is squeaky clean without its natural oils and moisture being stripped off.
2. Toner: The Dermalogica Multiactive Toner is a lightweight toner that hydrates and refreshes the skin, binding in the moisture for a longer period.
3. Exfoliator: Achieve brighter, smoother skin every day with the iconic Daily Microfoliant, which is a rice-based powder exfoliant that activates upon contact with water. It is suitable for all skin types and is gentle enough to use every day.
4. Serum: A little pick-me-up for dry and ageing skin, the Dermalogica Skin Hydrating Booster restores the moisture balance in your skin when used before or mixed into your moisturiser.
5. Moisturiser: Dry skin needs an extra boost of long-lasting moisture, which the Dermalogica Skin Smoothing Cream and Intensive Moisture Balance both provide in abundance.
6. Sunscreen: Apart from protecting your skin from UVA and UVB rays, the Dermalogica Dynamic Skin Recovery SPF 50 also helps reduce signs of ageing and gives it deep hydration.
7. Overnight treatment: Apply a generous layer of the Lakmé Absolute Hydra Pro Overnight Gel before going to bed and wake up to soft, hydrated, supple skin. This formula deeply moisturises and gives your skin a natural glow.